Friday, August 2, 2013

The Magic Pen

I originally wrote this piece in response to one of the monthly prompts at Tiny-Lights--a monthly writer's exchange.  This was a fun piece that I wanted to share. 

THE MAGIC PEN—A FAIRY TALE FOR WRITERS by Sara Etgen-Baker

Once upon a time there lived a gifted princess named Rizan who wrote and spun stories into gold. Now it happened that she opened the mail one day and discovered a rejection letter; she sat at her computer and cried, fearing her gift was gone.

Then Rizan looked out the window of her condo and thought to herself, "The sunset is so beautiful; I think I'll take a stroll along the trails near the creek."

However, darkness quickly fell, and she suddenly found herself lost and alone—deep inside the dark, urban wilderness not knowing what to do. So, Rizan decided to follow the moonlight, hoping it would guide her safely back home. She crossed a small wooden bridge, but all at once an ugly hunchback gnome jumped over the edge, startling poor Rizan.

"Sorry me startled you," the gnome replied, "Yfel's me name. Who might ‘cha be?" he inquired.

"My name's Rizan," the princess answered.

"What brings you out alone into the cold on this wintery evening?" Yfel asked.

"I took a stroll to clear my head hoping to renew my gift of creativity. Now, I seem to have lost my way home."

"Ah, I see…well…tonight's your lucky night, for I have just the thing for you. It's a magic pen. It will bring back your gift. Would ‘cha like to see it?"

"Sure," the princess innocently responded.

Then Yfel handed Rizan the pen, and she ran back to her condo eager to try the new pen. All at once, the point pricked the palm of her hand releasing a paralyzing poison; Rizan fell to the floor where she slumbered until sunrise. The sunbeams woke her.  But, alas, she was still paralyzed.

Soon, a delicately-winged fairy named Gignere slid down a sunbeam onto Rizan's shoulder and said, "I see the evil Yfel tempted you with his magic pen and cast a spell on you."

Then, Gignere waved her magic wand saying, "Be gone paralyzing poison."

With that, the numbness slowly left Rizan's body; she stood up and said, "Thank you, gentle Gignere, for rescuing me from Yfel's evil spell! What about my gift? Is there nothing you can do to rescue it?" Rizan blurted.

Gignere answered, "There's nothing more I can do. Do not let an evil, outside source take it away from you.   Remember writing is your gift and always dwells inside of you."

With that, Gignere smiled and flitted away climbing upon a sunbeam as it floated into the sunrise.

And from that day on, Rizan wrote happily ever after never doubting her gift of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment