Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Swashbuckler

What follows is my narrative in response to the monthly prompt at Tiny-Lights.com  The prompt was "What Keeps You Honest?" 

The Swashbuckler

by Sara Etgen-Baker

Being an honest writer is a double-edged sword. One side of the blade makes me vulnerable to criticism, rejection, and hurt, while the other side refines my writing skill and enhances my credibility.

Nobody forces me to submit my work to editors and readers. Even though rejection letters sometimes cut, leaving me bloody and tearful, nobody makes me vulnerable. I am my own swashbuckler when it comes to submissions, and I must be willing to submit. Otherwise, I'll never be a writer.
Nobody forces me to pick up my sword to slice through dialogue tags and learn how to use a semicolon. Nobody makes me do a second-pass edit or a third—or even a fourth and fifth. I am my own swashbuckler when it comes to my writing, and I must be honest with myself. Otherwise, I'll never improve as a writer.

Like any swashbuckler, I must be heroic in my pursuit of the truth. Without honesty, there simply is no truth. Likewise, I must honor my responsibility to explain the world truthfully; to provide insight into life; and, yes, to entertain.

Regardless of the structure, genre, style, voice, or market I choose, I must pursue and write my own truth. I must write about what bothers me; about the pain I feel; about the joys of my past; about what nags me to sleeplessness; about my longings; about my confusion; about my rage; and about my ambivalence.

So, what keeps me honest? I'm a writer and simply must be honest. Otherwise, what I do just becomes meaningless. Touché! 

Sara Etgen-Baker is a swashbuckling writer who writes at a small laptop in a small corner of her condo surrounded by piles of papers; she snacks on too much chocolate and dotes on her husband who dotes on her. Together they get through her sleepless nights and rough writing times. He keeps her honest-—honestly!

No comments:

Post a Comment