Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Day the Music Died

This is a short manuscript I wrote for the Story Circle Network's June, 2013, issue.  The theme of the contest was "hidden treasures." 

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED
             “Eddie, this is the sheriff.”  The officer pounded on the front door.  “You’re sister’s here to check on you.”  A few more sharp raps on the door.  “You alright?” 

            We waited.  Silence.  No response.  The sheriff’s urgent voice shouted, “We’re coming in!”  Then his booted foot struck the door jamb leaving it in splinters as the door crashed to the floor.     

The sheriff pulled his arm and sleeve over his mouth and nose. “Stay outside, ma’am.”    I complied; he entered the house.   Even before the sheriff confirmed my suspicions, I knew Eddie was dead. 

After his body was removed, I remained behind—riffling through Eddie’s belongings hoping to make sense of his final days.  I found piles of unpaid hospital bills, unopened Christmas cards, and unused bottles of heart and depression medication.  Hidden deep within some papers on his night stand I discovered a note penned in his handwriting that read I sometimes wonder if the world would be a better place without me.  Why do I continue this existence? This façade? This pain?”

Numb, I wandered into Eddie’s music room.  His drums stood motionless patiently expecting his return while his now silent piano quietly waited for his fingers to glide across its keys.  Scattered throughout the room were countless original scores of sheet music desperately hoping to be heard.  I crumbled to the floor clasping his handwritten note and sheet music close to my heart. 

Oh, Eddie! Why did you hide your talent inside this room?  Did you fear rejection? vulnerability? success?  My shoulders tightened.  I gasped.   But aren’t I just like you?  Haven’t I hidden my talent and ignored the whispers of creativity I heard as a 12-year old that told me to be a writer?  Haven’t I fallen victim to the same trap?

Now, I wish I could tell you that you were wrong.  The world isn’t a better place without you!  Even though your music died with you, your death helped me realize that the world needed your hidden songs, my hidden words, and our hidden voices.”

No comments:

Post a Comment